Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Air battery health 86% after 192 cycles. Is that okay?

Hi,

I have a 1.5 years old M1 MacBook Air (Purchased in January 2021).

The battery has 192 cycle count on it, and its health shows as 86%. Is that okay? I know that battery health should reach 80% after 1000 cycles. If my calculations are right, my battery should reach 80% after maybe 250 cycles only, if not less.

Is the battery defective this way? I did a diagnostics test, and it turned out okay with no issues at all.

I talked to two apple representatives, one said it is okay and expected one said it is absolutely not okay.

What should I do? Should Apple replace the defective battery for free, or will I have to pay for it?

Thanks a lot.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 2:46 AM

13 replies

Jul 16, 2022 7:20 AM in response to dra3b

You can interpret that any way you wish. My 2016 MBP has 39 cycles and is now showing 90%.

It was set up in a desktop role at first. For almost 4 years its cycle count was below 10. Yet the battery degraded normally. Had it sat in the DT role for 10 years, the battery would her eventually dropped below 80% with a cycle count still at 10.

There is no direct correlation between cycle count and capacity.

Jul 16, 2022 5:30 AM in response to ku4hx

Thanks a lot,

But in Apple's own words:

MacBook:

"Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. Apple offers a battery replacement service for all MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro notebooks with built-in batteries."

So I believe the 1000 cycles at 80% is not a misinterpreted estimate or without correlation.

I had a 2015 MacBook Air whose battery hit 80% at 1100 cycles. My sister had a 2017 one with around the same numbers.

Also, it seems that I will hit 80% battery health before I use the device for a year and 9 months. Is that normal? It should -on average- last around 4 years before it hits 80% health, no?

Jul 16, 2022 6:49 AM in response to dra3b

From where are you getting this information about battery health? Third-party apps sometimes give different readings on battery health, so you should use the Battery pane in System Preferences to get this information.

Check the condition of your Mac notebook’s battery - Apple Support (IE)

You can also try to prolong the lifespan of your battery by turning on Optimized Battery Charging, and on macOS Monterey and later, you can turn on Low Power Mode while your Mac is on battery to extend the battery life.

For context, my MacBook Air with M1, purchased February 2021, has 93% maximum capacity after 226 cycles, so yours definitely appears to be going more quickly than usual. If your MacBook's battery health is reported as "Service Recommended," you can take your Mac to Apple for a battery replacement. If your battery is reported as "Normal," you'll have a harder time getting service from Apple. Regardless, you'll be out $129 US for a battery repair if you don't have AppleCare+ on your device. (Repair prices vary by region).

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Jul 16, 2022 5:30 AM in response to dra3b

"I know that battery health should reach 80% after 1000 cycles."

That's a misinterpretation. There is no direct correlation between cycle count and capacity; 1000 is simply a max estimate.

My 2016 MBP had been at 89% for the last two years; it was 92% just yesterday. The capacity reporting is not perfectly stable and it can plateau at a given level for a long period of time.

When you get to 80%, you'll need to service the battery. Until then don't dream up problems that don't exist, charge it when needed, use on battery when you need to and enjoy it.

Your battery is not defective; it's out of warranty anyway. All batteries lose capacity over time but that can be mitigated by letting the battery circuitry take care of the battery. Be sure optimization is "on" and leave it there.

Jul 16, 2022 9:24 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you. I get what you're referring to now.

So what does correlate with battery health? Duration of use? I use it like 30 hours a week, usually unplugged. Which is quite average, I suppose. Would that make the battery health degrade to 86% after 18 months of use? My 2015 MBA took exactly 5 years (September 2015 to October 2020) and 1100 battery cycles to get to 80%.

My main question is: Given these inputs, could the battery be defective even if its condition is "normal" and no issues were found in the diagnostics? And if the answer is yes, would Apple replace it?

Jul 16, 2022 11:01 AM in response to dra3b

If my calculations are right, my battery should reach 80% after maybe 250 cycles only, if not less.

A battery's maximum charge capacity rate of change is not linear and cannot be extrapolated. Your calculations are predicated on flawed assumptions, so no they are not correct.

What should I do? Should Apple replace the defective battery for free, or will I have to pay for it?

Apple will replace the battery under conditions stipulated in their applicable warranty.

Jul 16, 2022 11:36 AM in response to -Bubba-

___Bubba___ wrote:
1% per month is fairly reasonable.

That means it will reach 80% health in 20 months, less than 2 years, I don't think that's the standard. If you have one battery cycle per day that's 80% health in 600 cycles, 500 cycles if you use it 6 days a week! That's actually almost double the rate of what it is supposed to be.

M1 Macbook Air battery health 86% after 192 cycles. Is that okay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.