Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do new iPhones compress data differently when transferring it over from one iPhone to the next?

I had an 11 Pro Max and just recently transferred my data over to my new 13 Pro Max using the feature where you put the phones next to eachother.

Everything looks to be on my new phone, text messages, photos, emails, etc. however my new phone has 18 GB “missing” of storage despite everything looking like it’s been transferred over. I don’t want to reset and trade in my old phone quite yet until I find this out.

I have made sure that all my data is downloaded and not just floating on the cloud so to speak so I know that can be crossed off when it comes to the freed up storage space. So my question is do newer iPhones compress data differently in that it doesn’t require as much space? Or are there any other explanations?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 8:51 AM

Go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage on each phone and compare the storage allocation to find where there’s a difference.

If you haven’t backed up and restored your old iPhone for a long time it’s likely that there is some deleted content whose storage wasn’t completely freed.

3 replies

Jul 16, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say it wasn’t “freed”? Because I have a feeling that’s what it is.

For example I long since cleaned up my camera roll from 11k pictures down to 4.5k about a year ago, and when I transferred the data a few days ago all the pictures are on my new phone however they only take up about 26 GB while on my old phone it accounts for 55 GB despite me checking all pictures, videos, Live Photos etc are there

Do new iPhones compress data differently when transferring it over from one iPhone to the next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.