Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use MacBook in clamshell on battery (not connected to power)?

I mainly work at my desk with my current 2014 MacBook in clamshell, attached to an external monitor. When I first started doing this, I discovered that it would only work if the MacBook was connected to power. Take out the power lead and the monitor goes dark (presumably because the MacBook has gone to sleep)

Now I am awaiting my new MacBook Air which is supposed to have a long battery life and I want to take advantage of this by working away from my desk. But if I need a big screen, I’ll go back to my desk and plug in the monitor.

So let’s say I’ve been working away from my desk and have 50% battery left. I don’t really want to plug in the power, when I plug in the monitor because it will recharge the battery and if I do that regularly, I’ll soon degrade the battery’s capacity.

I know I could have Mac open but I really don’t want the distraction of a second screen. So have things moved on since my original investigation such that I can run as a clamshell on battery alone?

Gary

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 12:46 PM

It needs to be plugged in to use in "clamshell" mode.

Similar questions

1 reply

Can I use MacBook in clamshell on battery (not connected to power)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.