Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple photos as desktop images for laptop mac OS Monterey

For years I have been enjoying a carefully edited selection of photos from an album in Apple Photos as pictures for my desktop. However, upon upgrading to one of the most recent versions of OS Monterey (currently using the most-recent, 12.4), the photos appearing on my desktop are all original, unedited versions of these pictures. (No cropping, no rotation, no exposure or color adjustments.) I tried rebuilding my Apple Photos database, but it still does the same thing.

It used to work great, showing the final products of time-consuming editing, and now after the OS upgrade, it's rather disappointing. Should I just switch to Adobe Lightroom?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 12:04 PM

pdtoth,

Thank you for the reply! Since you've been working with AppleCare already and done some excellent troubleshooting, we recommend continuing to work with them directly. You can reach out using this link: Apple Support

Kind regards.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 17, 2022 11:13 AM in response to pdtoth

Thanks for reaching out, pdtoth.

It sounds like following an update to your macOS, some photos are not appearing how you'd expect. We can help.

Just to clarify, are these photos ones that are unique to you, either ones you've taken or have had shared with you, or are they the stock images that came with your MacBook Pro?

Let us know, and we'll go from there.

Jul 17, 2022 11:54 AM in response to AdvisorMP

Thanks very much for your speedy reply.

These are my own photos, unique to me, not the stock ones that came with the MacBook Pro. However, I'm guessing that if I were to copy one of those stock photos, import it into the Photos app, and edit it, the result would be the same: only the original version of the picture would be displayed on the desk top.

It really seems to be a problem related to when the OS selects a desktop image from the Photos app.

I called Apple support after posting this question and have a case number set up. We tried setting up a new "test" user with administrator privileges and using Photos there, and then re-installing OS 12.4 from scratch, but the problem was not corrected.

When I purchased this 16" 2021 MacBook Pro last December, it came loaded with OS 12.1, I believe. Somewhere along the line in updating to either 12.2 or 12.3, the problem started appearing. I hoped it would go away when updating to 12.4, but it didn't.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks so much for your help!

Paul

apple photos as desktop images for laptop mac OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.