Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving a blank cell in Excel on my MacBook Air

Hi,

Just an unimportant (but annoying) issue I'm having using using excel on my Mac...

When I move to a blank cell (using the navigation keys on the keyboard) and then hit 'enter', I can obviously start typing in the cell.

The problem comes though, when I want to edit a cell that already has text in it. When this happens, I use the navigation keys to move to the cell, I hit enter, and the the text in the cell is deleted! Is there a key I can hit (or a combination of keys) instead of 'enter', that will bring the cursor to the end of whatever is already in a cell so that I can add to it or edit it?

(I know I can use the mouse or trackpad to click into the cell but I am looking for a way to do this on the keyboard so that I don't have to keep returning to the mouse constantly).

Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 5:09 PM

I have Excel for Mac 16.60. I am not seeing the same as you. If I use arrow keys to move to a cell (blank or with text already in it) and then hit "enter", it moves to the cell below it. If I start typing, I will be typing in the cell below the one I was navigating to.

Regardless, I think the keyboard shortcut you are looking for is Control U.

Excel on PC is the same except they use F2 to go into edit mode.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 5:09 PM in response to dwtcd

I have Excel for Mac 16.60. I am not seeing the same as you. If I use arrow keys to move to a cell (blank or with text already in it) and then hit "enter", it moves to the cell below it. If I start typing, I will be typing in the cell below the one I was navigating to.

Regardless, I think the keyboard shortcut you are looking for is Control U.

Excel on PC is the same except they use F2 to go into edit mode.

Moving a blank cell in Excel on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.