Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My email address has been compromised

I keep getting messages that it's on the dark web and I need to change all the passwords associated with it. So how can I delete it, and start with a brand new email address for my Apple account. ?

I

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 7:16 PM

2 replies

Jul 16, 2022 7:20 PM in response to Mikeysdad1

You can change your Apple ID email address on your current Apple ID so you retain access to your data and prior purchases. Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn off Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Jul 16, 2022 7:32 PM in response to Mikeysdad1

An email address is not sensitive, and cannot be. Just as soon as you start exchanging email, knowledge of that address spreads. It’s like a mailing address, or a street address. It’s known, and it needs ro be known to be used and useful.

Here are some common scams, a d there are many others:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

You might get password warnings from Apple, particularly if you’ve unfortunately been re-using passwords. Re-using passwords does cause problems just as soon as the passwords becomes known from some breach, this entirely independent of email addresses.

If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, see Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations.

As far too commonly used in recent years, “dark web” and “hacker” and “virus” are words that commonly mean you’re reading advertising, a scam, or rubbish. You will want to be cautious around these words, not because you are at risk from the “dark web”, “hackers”, or “viruses”, but rather that somebody making claims about these may well be looking to scam you. Or to sell you something you probably don’t need, and that might well be privacy-invasive rubbish.

Switching email addresses because somebody knows the address is… futile. Spammers, some email vendors, marketing folks, and many other entities are all in the business of collecting, acquiring, and selling lists of email addresses. Changing addresses is something I’d generally avoid, particularly as it disrupts those that you do want to communicate with.

My email address has been compromised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.