Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone no-longer syncs "Last played" data or "Plays" data from the phone to my Windows iTunes program.

My iPhone no-longer syncs "Last played" data or "Plays" data from the phone to my Windows iTunes program. This worked until recently but I can't confirm when it last worked.

When I connect my phone to my laptop, the phone is recognised and syncing does occur to and from the phone. I can transfer music from my laptop to the phone. If I update a star-rating of a track on my phone the data is updated on my iTunes program.

iTunes version is up to date (Version 12.10.11.2, which is the latest available for my Windows version)

iPhone version is up to date (iPhone 11 running on iOS 15.5)

Any suggestions how to rectify this?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 3:41 PM

15 replies

Jul 19, 2022 2:06 PM in response to JohnnyLynskey

JohnnyLynskey,

Thank you for clarifying.

First let's restart both devices, even though this is a simple step it may help:

How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, or 13

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
  3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

As outlined here: Restart your iPhone

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Are you an Apple Music subscriber? Does this happen while streaming songs, with downloaded songs, or both? Also, you mentioned this happened recently, was anything changed recently?

Cheers!

Aug 15, 2022 2:52 PM in response to JohnnyLynskey

So... this issue has not gone away. Everything worked ok for exactly 24 hours from when it was re-set and then the issue returned. I only noticed today after syncing my phone with iTunes again. Everything I played from 13.00 on 10th Aug to 13.00 on 11th August appears as "Last played" but everything since then does not.

[Edited by Moderator]

Aug 10, 2022 4:43 AM in response to JohnnyLynskey

• Click on the phone icon at the top of the iTunes window once it is seen in iTunes:

• that will display the Device/Settings/Summary pane. Now select the Device/Settings/Music option (1.):

• tick (check) the Sync Music box (2.)
  • in step 3, select either:
    • Sync entire music library - which will add all the ticked (checked) songs in your iTunes (note, you will not see section 4 if you choose this option)
    • Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres - which then displays everything in section 4, where you can choose which items to add to the phone
    • click on the Sync (or Apply) button in the lower right corner of the window (not shown in the screenshots)
    • safely disconnect the phone from iTunes (the eject icon, which replaces the double arrows (just above the battery icon) when the sync is complete

Aug 10, 2022 3:19 AM in response to JohnnyLynskey

JohnnyLynskey wrote:
The library transferred ok but the problem persists.

Don't forget that when you connect the iPhone to the new computer you need to set up Sync options between iTunes and that specific device. If you don't, then Play Counts and Last Played are not synchronised to iTunes.

However, you also need to take into account that when you connect the iPhone to the new iTunes Library it will warn you that if you sync the phone with this new Library, all the media on the phone will be removed and the only thing to go back on it will be what is in the new library. Be aware of this because if you have media (music) on your phone that is not in the new library, you will lose it.

Of course, lost music should be recoverable:

• from a backup, if you have one
    • purchases from the iTunes Store, sign into your account from the new iTunes and download old purchases from there
    • purchases from other online retailers, download them again from your account with that store
    • from CDs, re-rip from the CD again
    • other sources, go back to that source

Jul 18, 2022 11:46 AM in response to JohnnyLynskey

Greetings JohnnyLynskey, 

Do you notice that the play count changes when you play the song on your computer? That would let us know whether the play count is updating at all. 

Do you notice this happens with all music as a whole from your iPhone or does it seem to matter how that music is played? For example, with headphones versus via CarPlay. 

Thanks. 

Aug 9, 2022 1:56 PM in response to Omar_A1

Thanks. I have restarted my phone and laptop as suggested but the issue persists.

In answer to the questions: I am not an Apple Music subscriber. I did have a trial recently and I noticed that I couldn't sync music from my laptop to my phone anymore so I ended the trial. It's possible that this coinciding with the timing of the data syncing issue but I can't say for sure.

Aug 9, 2022 3:04 PM in response to JohnnyLynskey

JohnnyLynskey wrote:

iTunes version is up to date (Version 12.10.11.2, which is the latest available for my Windows version)
iPhone version is up to date (iPhone 11 running on iOS 15.5)

Something isn't right there. I was under the impression that a device running iOS 15 cannot talk to iTunes 12.10.11.2. In fact, I believe that iOS 15 requires iTunes 12.12.0.6 or higher.

Therefore, if your computer is running iTunes 12.10.11.2 and the device is running iOS 15.5, you should consider yourself lucky that you are managing to achieve anything.

iTunes 12.10.11.2 is the last version of iTunes that works on Windows 7 (or Windows 8). Apple's message when you check for updates is misleading: instead of telling you that your iTunes is up to date, it should state that it is up to date for the version of Windows that you are using. I think though, that you are already aware of this because you mention "Version 12.10.11.2, which is the latest available for my Windows version".

To summarise; to use your iPhone with iOS 15 on it with iTunes, you have to use a later version of iTunes, which means using Windows 10.

Aug 10, 2022 2:00 AM in response to the fiend

I thought that running an outdated version of iTunes may be an issue so I transferred my music and iTunes library to a machine running Windows 11. I updated iTunes to the latest version (12.12.4.1) The library transferred ok but the problem persists.

I just found an old iPhone I used previously. I played a few tracks on it and connected it to my laptop and "play count" and "last played" updated correctly. So, the issue is with my iPhone not my Windows device or iTunes.

I believe it relates to the Apple Music trial I did but I can't figure how.

Aug 10, 2022 5:49 AM in response to the fiend

I spoke to an Apple advisor on chat and they recommended signing out of my iTunes account on Windows and signing off my Apple account on my iPhone and re-logging-in on both devices again.

This appears to have corrected the issue. I can now see updated play counts and last played data from my phone. The data for the last four months is not there but fresh "plays" are appearing in iTunes.

Thanks to anyone to offered support.

iPhone no-longer syncs "Last played" data or "Plays" data from the phone to my Windows iTunes program.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.