Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey disables brightness controls on Apple 24" LED Cinema display

On Sunday I upgraded my 2020 mac Mini M1 to Monterey and the display brightness controls stopped working. Both the keyboard special keys and the "display" slider in the macOS menu bar are disabled. All other features of the Cinema Display, the sound control keys and all other special keys still work as they used to under Big Sur.

This is a very serious problem, as health & safety regulations mandate that any computer display must be equipped with brightness controls, that mac mini is now not suitable for any production environment.

Does anybody know if this is recoverable?

(Moreover: is this a known problem? Neither the upgrade procedure nor the docs alerted me to this beforehand. )

Best regards,

*MM*

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 8:02 PM

Is there a brightness slider in "Display Settings" in the Displays system preference?

Try QuickShade from the Mac AppStore.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 19, 2022 1:04 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you for your reply.

There is no brightness slider in the sys prefs. There is one in the "sliders" pane from the macOS top bar, but it is disabled, while the "Sound" slider is still enabled. See the attached screenshot.

I will check the app. So far, I have compensated by manually activating the night shift and sunset display controls. I am lucky that the default settings of the Cinema Display are somewhat sane and it is still more or less usable.

Best regards,

*MM*

macOS Monterey disables brightness controls on Apple 24" LED Cinema display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.