Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files deleting themselves?

Hello,

A few days ago, I had an alert that my MacBook Air startup disk was almost full (only around 2 GB left). I have not got around to deleting anything to free up space – but apparently there is now more free space than before (11.66 GB in fact). It looks like my Mac is deleting files by itself. I ran a full virus scan and nothing came up, so I'm a bit stumped, and rather worried... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,

MR

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 9:43 AM

You need to maintain 15-20% totally unused space on the drive. When the drive is overloaded, strange things do happen. The Mac just doesn't run well at all in some case.

First thing you need to do is open up more space. You do that by deleting user data. If you wish to keep it you put it on an external drive or cloud storage (NOT iCloud) before deleting.

If you have an AV app, uninstall it as it's not needed. All such "helper" apps can, and often do, interrupt system processes. All of them.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Windhot

You need to maintain 15-20% totally unused space on the drive. When the drive is overloaded, strange things do happen. The Mac just doesn't run well at all in some case.

First thing you need to do is open up more space. You do that by deleting user data. If you wish to keep it you put it on an external drive or cloud storage (NOT iCloud) before deleting.

If you have an AV app, uninstall it as it's not needed. All such "helper" apps can, and often do, interrupt system processes. All of them.

Files deleting themselves?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.