Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete file external hard drive> Shows up in trash on Mac

My questions is: When you delete something from external hard drive and it shows up in the Macs trash, is it actually in the Macs trash, I would have thought if I deleted something from a hard drive it is removed from that hard drive not added to another one? Confusing.

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 10:08 AM

3 replies

Jul 19, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Niel

Thank you for your reply, so in computer illiterate terms, its not actually putting the files deleted on a external hard drive onto the computer that has the trash can, the trash can is just a collective visual representation of what has been deleted during a user session/ local files that have been deleted in the past. Does this mean that If I disconnect the hard drive without emptying the trash the files I deleted from the external the showed up in the trash would disappear? I can mark your answer "best answer" if I understand this correctly.

Delete file external hard drive> Shows up in trash on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.