Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to export HEIC photo file - unhelpful error message

I'm trying to export a bunch of photos from Photos. Works fine for jpeg files; doesn't work for heic. The error message I get is a classic... "The operation couldn't be completed (Cocoa error-1)." What the heck am I supposed to do with that? If I had to I'd buy a heic->jpeg converter app, but I can't get them out of Photos, so that doesn't help.

I've tried live and not live (dead?) heic files, tried many different files, tried exporting unmodified original and plain export, exporting to desktop or a shared file, restarted computer (MBP 14")...NOTHING helps. Running on Monterey 12.2.1. I didn't realize. I have not changed my iPhone to create files in jpeg - heic isn't helping me at all.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 9:54 PM

Have you tried to export the images with "File > Export > Export unmodified Original" or with "File > Export > Export .. Photos" ? If you have not done so, try to export the unmodified originals, then you can convert the images outside photos.

If even "Export unmodified Original" does not work, the originals may be missing or your Photos Library is damaged. Have you done anything, that might have removed originals, for example run a program to to remove duplicates? That can cause such a damage. Or keeping the Photos library on an unsuitable external volume. The original image files may also be lost, if you have imported them without the "Copy photos into the Library" option and are referencing them in the original location.

Where is your Photos Library stored? If your photos Library is on an external volume, the external volume needs to be prepared like this: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 9:54 PM in response to Michael King

Have you tried to export the images with "File > Export > Export unmodified Original" or with "File > Export > Export .. Photos" ? If you have not done so, try to export the unmodified originals, then you can convert the images outside photos.

If even "Export unmodified Original" does not work, the originals may be missing or your Photos Library is damaged. Have you done anything, that might have removed originals, for example run a program to to remove duplicates? That can cause such a damage. Or keeping the Photos library on an unsuitable external volume. The original image files may also be lost, if you have imported them without the "Copy photos into the Library" option and are referencing them in the original location.

Where is your Photos Library stored? If your photos Library is on an external volume, the external volume needs to be prepared like this: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

unable to export HEIC photo file - unhelpful error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.