Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After rebooting i cant find a drive toinstall MacOS

Hello all,

I tried to reboot my Macbook. But i think i deleted to much and now i cant install MacOS anymore.

If i connect my Macbook on the internet and wanted to download MacOS it shows me that i have to select the drive, but there is no drive popping up. What can i do to install the drive again, so i can restart install MacOS?

Hopefully someone can help me out

Greeting,

Floyd

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 2:47 AM

If you're surfing with the Mac you wish to install the OS onto you can't do that.

You can't alter the active disk in that way. To make a new OS installation, you have to boot from a different drive, usually a bootable flash drive you make.

If you wish to replace the existing OS, you don't download it, you do that from the recovery panel. How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2022 2:47 AM in response to floyd268

If you're surfing with the Mac you wish to install the OS onto you can't do that.

You can't alter the active disk in that way. To make a new OS installation, you have to boot from a different drive, usually a bootable flash drive you make.

If you wish to replace the existing OS, you don't download it, you do that from the recovery panel. How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2022 2:34 AM in response to floyd268

Did you try holding down Command-R after pressing the power button or holding down the power button with Apple silicon?

You should get the menu and then select Disk Utility. The Disk Utility should allow you to format the hard disk, then unless the disk has failed you should be able to format it. Then reinstall the operating system.

If the drive is operational, you should be able to reformat it and then it should allow you to select it and reinstall the operating system.

It would be helpful if you posted information about what type of Macbook you had, how old it was, and why you were deleting files in the first place. If this is an older Mac your drive may have failed. Hopefully you made a Time Machine backup before starting to delete files?

Jul 19, 2022 2:54 AM in response to LyleFromVegas

Hi Lyle,

Thanks for your answer.

I wanted to reset the whole Mac because i thought it went once time to reset everything. I think its something like 10 years old? From Microsoft Mail i constantly got a mail of unusual usage why it blocked constantly. Used it for years and i thought there was a lot of things on it that i dont use it anymore. So in the thought a hard reset will fix everything. The files on the Mac i didnt need, because all the necceserry i putted in the cloud.

I tried some things in the cmd+R menu. If i make a controll of the OS X Base System, it says every thing is oke. But if i click on Activate Disk0s2, nothing happends and the field is empty. I would like to send you a picture, but i neither get it in English (it is Dutch). I have chosen English but nothing refeshes and the text stays in Dutch.

Thanks for your help!

Jul 19, 2022 3:13 AM in response to ku4hx

Hi Ku4hx,

Thanks for your help! Just to install it like your guide was the problem because i coudnt find a driver to put it one. But in the guide you sent me, there were yome other links which put me couple times back and there wss a guide which explained exactly what i needed. I dont know why, but one step i had to redo?

I dont know exactly what went wrong, but i have the server again and i am installing MacOS again.

Thanks for both your help!

Jul 25, 2022 8:33 AM in response to floyd268

If the drive on your Mac is 10 years old and I'm assuming is a SATA drive, then it might be a good time to consider replacing the drive. On the best of days, a SATA drive should be replaced every 5-7 years at the outside. Keep in mind that a disk drive has moving and spinning parts. Like any motor they wear out. You usually get at least 20-30,000 hours on a drive but I replace my drives at 20,000 hours. Unless the drive doesn't contain any important information then you can run it until you start having drive issues. A 2Tb SSD is around $225 and is an easy replacement on most Mac's beyond the new units where everything is soldered on.

After rebooting i cant find a drive toinstall MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.