You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find deleted messages on iCloud

I deleted my messages from one contact by accident I can not see them in the deleted files on iCloud.com

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 9:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 9:40 AM

If Messages in iCloud is enabled, the messages cannot be retrieved. If you're unsure if this feature is turned on, here's how to check: Use Messages in iCloud. If Messages in iCloud isn't turned on, and you have a backup that contains the messages, they can be restored with these steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. Keep in mind, any data that has been put onto your iPhone after the backup was created will be lost. If you have made a backup of the iPhone since you deleted the message, you will not be able to retrieve it either.

There is no deleted folder for Messages. Once they are deleted, then are gone except if you have a backup from before the message was deleted.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2022 9:40 AM in response to kennetta256

If Messages in iCloud is enabled, the messages cannot be retrieved. If you're unsure if this feature is turned on, here's how to check: Use Messages in iCloud. If Messages in iCloud isn't turned on, and you have a backup that contains the messages, they can be restored with these steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. Keep in mind, any data that has been put onto your iPhone after the backup was created will be lost. If you have made a backup of the iPhone since you deleted the message, you will not be able to retrieve it either.

There is no deleted folder for Messages. Once they are deleted, then are gone except if you have a backup from before the message was deleted.

Jul 19, 2022 9:48 AM in response to kennetta256

The fine print here.........

The messages must have been backed up while they were still on the iPhone

No new backups must have occurred since the messages were deleted

iCloud backups sync with the iPhone, so if you deleted the messages on the iPhone, the next back up would pick that up and the messages would disappear from iCloud

The bottom line.......even if you have a backup, the messages cannot be retrieved unless you catch the mistake almost immediately and turn off backups at the time.

How do I find deleted messages on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.