Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External HDD way too slow reading and writing Macbook Air M1 Montery

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me. I've got a brand new Macbook Air M1, 8Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD, and I'm struggling using my external HDD. It is painfully slow, it is a Toshiba Canvio, 3TB, formatted in NTSF. The first time I used it on my Air it worked fine but now it is just too slow, reading and writing speeds are 12Mb/s- 10Mb/s !!

I tried connecting it directly with an adapter, with a Ugreen Hub, and everything is the same. Right now I'm trying to move 65GB of data and it says is gonna take 2 days!!

Previously I had a Macbook Air Intel (2014) and it worked just fine. I have Monterey and use Tuxera NTFS. Please, help me!

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 4:11 PM

I think the issue is with Tuxera's software. As such, I suggest that you contact them to be sure you are using the very latest version that supports BOTH macOS Monterey and M1 Macs.

Alternatively, you could reformat this drive for APFS and not need Tuxera at all.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 19, 2022 5:08 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I have the latest software from Tuxera. I'm thinking in trying a different program, Paragon for example, and see if that improves the situation.

On the other hand, I've been tempted to switch file formats, but I use windows also, and the problem will be on the other side. Do you think it will solve the issue if I use a APFS? It does not depend on the hardware (HDD, SSD, Thunderbolt, etc)?

Jul 19, 2022 5:59 PM in response to hecherdr1

I have a mix of Windows & Macs. For drives that I would use with either OS, I format them in ExFAT. Those I dedicate to Windows get NTFS, and those for Macs, get APFS. Using a 3rd-party "software solution" only adds to a performance loss.

I do think you will find APFS the best choice for your M1 Mac ... especially if you will only be using it with "modern" Macs.

External HDD way too slow reading and writing Macbook Air M1 Montery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.