Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - Batch rotate images

I've been sorting some 20,000 images in my Photos library into various albums. I've found that a fair number of scanned 35mm negatives are rotated 90° or 180°. Is there a way, either in Photos or using a third party app, to select a batch of images and rotate them in 90° increments? If Photos cannot do this, please suggest an app that will. I've checked the App Store using various phrases but nothing seems to come up. The app doesn't need to be a one-trick pony, just need that rotation is among its editing features.

Thank you

Tod

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 5:00 AM

Photos can rotate each individual photo, once you open it in Edit mode. But there is no batch option in Photos iOS, only in Photos for Mac. On my Mac I can select a batch of photos and rotate them all at once by entering the shortcut ⌘R or ⌥⌘R . if you are having a Mac consider to do the rotation on your Mac and sync the rotated versions with iCloud Photos to your iPhone or iPad.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 5:00 AM in response to TodFromIndiana

Photos can rotate each individual photo, once you open it in Edit mode. But there is no batch option in Photos iOS, only in Photos for Mac. On my Mac I can select a batch of photos and rotate them all at once by entering the shortcut ⌘R or ⌥⌘R . if you are having a Mac consider to do the rotation on your Mac and sync the rotated versions with iCloud Photos to your iPhone or iPad.

Jul 22, 2022 10:14 PM in response to léonie

@léonie:

Many thanks for this tip. Although I use my iPad for 96% of my activities, I do have a Mac for other things (Filemaker, Devonthink Full), and indeed your tip works perfectly.

I tried out a couple iPad apps but was disappointed when I discovered that they created copies before doing the rotation, which, besides forcing me to spend time deleting the originals, the duplicates created new Exif data, including a new date. I rely on the embedded date info too much that these apps were unuseable.

Cheers,

Tod

(Side issue: something's screwy with the forums WRT sending replies using an iPad: After composing a reply and hitting the Post button, I get a red warning that I've been logged out (I am not actually logged out) and to log back in and type the reply again. No amount of logging in resolves this issue, making me wait until my wife is finished with her work on our Mac to respond. Grrr!)

Photos - Batch rotate images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.