Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup Devices

Apparently my Lacie backup drive isn’t working (and hasn’t been for 3 months. Is this no longer a compatible backup device? My OS is Monterey 12.4. I have a lot of free storage space (169/256 GB).

Or.....how do I back up my laptop to the cloud? Help!

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 10:09 AM

See the article Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support

Use cloud-based services

Cloud-based services don't require you to connect an external hard drive to your Mac. For example, iCloudcan automatically store your photoscalendarscontactsnotespasswords, and more. And it includes iCloud Drive, which can store documents, desktop files, and other files of your choosing. To access those files, you just need to be signed in to iCloud. Other cloud-based services are available from third parties.

Note : you can't back up Mac system files to iCloud for complete back up the time machine has to be set up How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 10:09 AM in response to JDRR

See the article Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support

Use cloud-based services

Cloud-based services don't require you to connect an external hard drive to your Mac. For example, iCloudcan automatically store your photoscalendarscontactsnotespasswords, and more. And it includes iCloud Drive, which can store documents, desktop files, and other files of your choosing. To access those files, you just need to be signed in to iCloud. Other cloud-based services are available from third parties.

Note : you can't back up Mac system files to iCloud for complete back up the time machine has to be set up How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Jul 20, 2022 10:26 AM in response to tygb

I have my LaCie backup plugged in to my laptop - But it hasn’t worked since February 2022. How do I run it? It’s a USB connection (and of course, this MacBook has no USB ports), so it’s plugged in to a connector cable - it has a capacity of 2T. I cannot tell which drive I’m using for this or which drive I should be using. All I know is that I get a daily message telling me my laptop hasn’t been backed up for 155 days - certainly not what I want.

Backup Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.