Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages can't even spell a 2 letter word!

Since using the latest version of pages I have noticed it is randomly underlining correctly spelled words. I've been ignoring it up until now, but it has started becoming so annoying I'm convinced it is broken.

Just to be certain, I have "check spelling by typing" switched on and nothing else.

Today, it is insisting the word "by" is mispelled. I haven't asked Pages to check the grammar of the sentence it appears within, so why does it continue to pick out random words such as 'their', 'there' when they are correctly used. How can I stop it but keep the spell check on?

I'd also like to know how I can get Pages to stop highlighting words it doesn't have in its spelling database (but clearly should).

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 5:13 PM

"I'd also like to know how I can get Pages to stop highlighting words it doesn't have in its spelling database (but clearly should)."

Control-Click on the word to open this window:

Top line is a suggestion for my 'word', "zqt".

Not sure if the second choice means 'on this occasion' or 'any time it appears.

The third puts the word into the spelling dictionary in use on your Mac.

I've seen some recent examples of short (2 or 3 letter words) getting redlined. My usual response is to ignore them.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 5:13 PM in response to smashingparty

"I'd also like to know how I can get Pages to stop highlighting words it doesn't have in its spelling database (but clearly should)."

Control-Click on the word to open this window:

Top line is a suggestion for my 'word', "zqt".

Not sure if the second choice means 'on this occasion' or 'any time it appears.

The third puts the word into the spelling dictionary in use on your Mac.

I've seen some recent examples of short (2 or 3 letter words) getting redlined. My usual response is to ignore them.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 21, 2022 4:04 AM in response to smashingparty

You can somewhat improve Pages spelling behavior by ensuring that in System Preferences, you have the following set:

1. Language & Region
    1. Preferred languages: your language is the first choice
  2. Keyboard
    1. Spelling: Not Automatic By Language, but your specific language

And in Pages Preferences:

1. Auto-Correction: ☐ Correct spelling automatically

And in Pages > Edit menu > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar : Not Automatic by Language, but your specific language, and ☐ Check grammar.

The above changes will not work miracles but may improve its spelling detection nose.

Pages can't even spell a 2 letter word!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.