Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove parental controls on my son's iPhone?

I set my son's birthdate to 13 for his iPhone when I first got it to have more parental control over the content he had access to. He is now 18 and I would like to update his birthday and remove the parental controls. How do I do that?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 11:01 AM

To change a birth date to any age below 13,* you must be a member of a Family Sharing group, and your family organizer must approve the change. After you change a birth date to any age below 13, you can't edit it.* Learn more about Family Sharing

1. Update the birth date.
  2. Follow the onscreen steps to send an email request to your family organizer.
  3. Your family organizer will get an email with instructions to approve the request. 

See this link for more reference

Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 11:01 AM in response to Moonface22

To change a birth date to any age below 13,* you must be a member of a Family Sharing group, and your family organizer must approve the change. After you change a birth date to any age below 13, you can't edit it.* Learn more about Family Sharing

1. Update the birth date.
  2. Follow the onscreen steps to send an email request to your family organizer.
  3. Your family organizer will get an email with instructions to approve the request. 

See this link for more reference

Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Jul 20, 2022 11:04 AM in response to Moonface22

1. Age is defined by Birthdate set for the Apple ID, as such it would on its own update the age as time naturally progresses. If it's now at any age greater than what it should be, you can log in to https://appleid.apple.com with your sons Apple ID and update the Birthdate there. Link-> Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support
  2. To remove parental restrictions, you would need to go into the iPhone and turn off Screen Time there. If you set a pasword you will need to provide said password to turn it off. Link-> Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 21, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Moonface22

If the current age is less than 13, then you will need to contact Apple Support and have them change the Birthdate. Link-> contact Apple Support

If the current age is over 13, then you can change it directly by following the steps provided: link-> Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

You can keep your son in Family Sharing. you do not need to remove the Apple ID, nor create a new one.

Jul 21, 2022 8:48 AM in response to WheelieNick

I am the Family Organizer. For better or worse I set up my sons' iPhones with birthdates that were younger than they actually were, because I thought it best that they have the Parental Controls associated with that through their high school years. My oldest son is now heading to college and I want to change his birthdate to his actual birthdate, which lifts the parental controls.

Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to remove him from Family Share, have him create a new account with his actual age, and add him back to my Family Share?

I guess that's my real question.

How to remove parental controls on my son's iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.