Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I erase iPhone that is in lost mode? Before the power goes off?

I put my in ‘lost ‘ mode. When should I erase?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 7:52 PM

If your passcode is truly secure and not easily guessed, there’s really no compelling technical need to do so; your data is VERY WELL protected.

A remote erase will prevent you from ever tracking it again.

The “competing argument” is that if you’ve “written off” this phone and given up all hope of recovery, there’s no real reason to NOT erase it.

What DOES matter is to never, EVER remove the phone from your account. Doing so releases the Activation Lock and allows any “finder” to reset (erasing it to it’s “new out of the box” condition) and reuse the phone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 7:52 PM in response to Larry30030

If your passcode is truly secure and not easily guessed, there’s really no compelling technical need to do so; your data is VERY WELL protected.

A remote erase will prevent you from ever tracking it again.

The “competing argument” is that if you’ve “written off” this phone and given up all hope of recovery, there’s no real reason to NOT erase it.

What DOES matter is to never, EVER remove the phone from your account. Doing so releases the Activation Lock and allows any “finder” to reset (erasing it to it’s “new out of the box” condition) and reuse the phone.

Jul 23, 2022 2:45 PM in response to Chattanoogan

This phone was not -*** code protected when it was lost in surf in waterproof case. It probably sunk. I activated “ lost” feature within 1 hour, and instructed code then. Battery dead now, so there was no opportunity ( I assume) for “lost” instructed passcode to be implemented. If phone is found, and recharged, will the passcode instructed as a step in the “ lost” activation be implemented?

btw, just so you understand, I was using the iPhone as a diving camera in a waterproof case. I needed to deactivate the security code to use the buttons on the water[roof case.

Jul 23, 2022 6:22 PM in response to Larry30030

Ok then, that’s a “significant” bit of info.

Given your situation, a remote erase is certainly recommended.

Without a passcode, anyone who finds your phone can view ALL of your info it contains.

Not exactly sure how the “Lost Phone” PIN will behave in this exact situation; I’d think that it would protect the contents but am not 100% positive.

Fortunately, since it doesn’t have a passcode, any “finder” will NOT be able to chane your AppleID password.

However, assuming the “lost PIN” does NOT work they COULD manipulate almost anything else on your phone AND you could potentially loose all copies of anything sync’d to iCloud.

Recommend that you:

1) Perform a remote erase

2) Change your AppleID password

3) Enable 2FA if you’ve not done so already

4) Mitigate damage for any personal info which might be recovered from the phone assuming that everything on it is exposed to “bad actors”

Should I erase iPhone that is in lost mode? Before the power goes off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.