Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing My Email Problem

My old email was a Gmail account. I switched everything to a Proton Mail account. When I went into my IPad setting to change my email I only saw one place to put in a new email so I put in my new email and Apple took it. However, somehow it is still under a GMAIL heading and the email under my name at the very top is still my Gmail account even though Apple did change my email. But now it will not let me send outgoing emails. I see no way of getting rid of being under that Gmail heading. I think it is thinking that new email is just another Gmail account. Does anyone have any ideas? I was going to try and delete the new Proton Mail account and see if I could redo it but I have no other email account to add and verify. It's a mess! And I am an 80 year old granny with no tech skills. HELP!

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 8:44 AM

Changing the settings for your pre-existing Gmail account was an error. Instead you should simply add your new Proton Mail account to the iPad:

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When finished - and the new account is working as expected - you might delete the original Gmail account from the iPad:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Gmail account] > Delete Account

Alternatively, why not keep your existing “free” Gmail account in addition to your Proton account? There are times when having a second account may be useful.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 8:44 AM in response to lgpars

Changing the settings for your pre-existing Gmail account was an error. Instead you should simply add your new Proton Mail account to the iPad:

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When finished - and the new account is working as expected - you might delete the original Gmail account from the iPad:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Gmail account] > Delete Account

Alternatively, why not keep your existing “free” Gmail account in addition to your Proton account? There are times when having a second account may be useful.

Changing My Email Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.