Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Mac OS

I am wanting to update my operating system past 2012. I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro - 13". Based on what I have seen Mid 2009 Macbook Pro's cannot be updated past El Capitan (10.11.6), which is what I am running. My MacBook Pro does not have the original hard drive - I have updated it. It now has a 480 GB SSD Sata hard drive. Since I don't have the original hard drive can update past El Capitan or are the other reasons I cannot upgrade past it (I am ignorant of such things). In case it helps here is a little more info. Processor is: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory is: GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Graphics are: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB Thank you for whatever you can tell me. Brad

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 12:02 PM

The 2009 MacBook Graphic cards lack the ability to support the "Metal(1)" graphics Engine which was introduced for 2012 hardware for OS X El Capitan or later. This graphics engine was integrated in macOS Sierra for Operating System rendering etc.

Metal Release Date: June 8, 2015 for Macs that are 2012 models or later, running OS X El Capitan or later.

That is "why" you can't.

There may be unsupported ways to reverse-engineer future operating systems to run on older hardware, but it has the adverse affect of making it look ugly and or corrupted if it depends upon Metal 1 or Metal 2 Graphics.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 12:02 PM in response to brogers22

The 2009 MacBook Graphic cards lack the ability to support the "Metal(1)" graphics Engine which was introduced for 2012 hardware for OS X El Capitan or later. This graphics engine was integrated in macOS Sierra for Operating System rendering etc.

Metal Release Date: June 8, 2015 for Macs that are 2012 models or later, running OS X El Capitan or later.

That is "why" you can't.

There may be unsupported ways to reverse-engineer future operating systems to run on older hardware, but it has the adverse affect of making it look ugly and or corrupted if it depends upon Metal 1 or Metal 2 Graphics.

Updating Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.