Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing disk and reinstalling MacOS

What do I do if there is no disk available to reinstall MacOS? I have already erased my disk trying to get it ready to give away but its not working.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 2:34 PM

While there are some features and noted instructions in another reference:

• What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Ones linked in my reply cover your instance, and then some.

When you erased the drive ~ you might have gone too far.

Or maybe not far enough..!😸

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 2:34 PM in response to ea626

While there are some features and noted instructions in another reference:

• What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Ones linked in my reply cover your instance, and then some.

When you erased the drive ~ you might have gone too far.

Or maybe not far enough..!😸

Jul 21, 2022 4:34 PM in response to ea626

How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

Jul 21, 2022 2:21 PM in response to ea626

To be clear- when you boot into recoveryOS (Holding CMD + R on startup) and click "Disk Utility" from the four options, does your disk appear there?

If it appears in Disk Utility but cannot reinstall macOS on the disk, ensure you followed the reformatting instructions under 'Use Disk Utility to erase your Mac' - Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't appear in Disk Utility, your Mac needs service. You'll have to contact Apple Support.

Erasing disk and reinstalling MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.