Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm confused about the location of my files - icloud or HD?

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2019. My HD is full and I can't do the update.

I also my a 2T icloud account.

I'm trying to delete old files from my computer but some of the folders have a Cloud icon and down arrow underneath. I'm not sure if I am deleting files off my HD or from the icloud directory.

This is very confusing. I hope someone in APPLE can make this clear.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 2:57 AM

Hello smoothcoffee68,

Thank you for including pictures, it definitely helps! The cloud you are seeing next to your folder name represents the item that is stored in iCloud only. If you were to click on that, you'll see thumbnails/low resolution files, but the actual full file is stored in iCloud. Your computer is doing this because 1. Your drive is full 2. Files you don't access frequently get offloaded to the cloud storage.

If you have an iPhone (and use the same iCloud Account) you can open the "Files" app to validate these are stored in iCloud. Alternatively you can visit www.icloud.com and log in with your credentials > select iCloud Drive to view your files.

More details about iCloud Drive can be found here:

-> Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Also, if you're looking to free up space on your Mac, there is a built in tool that can help make recommendations.

-> Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 2:57 AM in response to smoothcoffee68

Hello smoothcoffee68,

Thank you for including pictures, it definitely helps! The cloud you are seeing next to your folder name represents the item that is stored in iCloud only. If you were to click on that, you'll see thumbnails/low resolution files, but the actual full file is stored in iCloud. Your computer is doing this because 1. Your drive is full 2. Files you don't access frequently get offloaded to the cloud storage.

If you have an iPhone (and use the same iCloud Account) you can open the "Files" app to validate these are stored in iCloud. Alternatively you can visit www.icloud.com and log in with your credentials > select iCloud Drive to view your files.

More details about iCloud Drive can be found here:

-> Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Also, if you're looking to free up space on your Mac, there is a built in tool that can help make recommendations.

-> Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 22, 2022 3:01 AM in response to smoothcoffee68

Usually the files on iCloud Drive are having shadow copies on your Mac, so you can use them even without an internet connection. When your Mac is syncing with iCloud Drive and you delete a file on iCloud Drive, you will delete delete both files, the shadow copy from your Mac and the original from iCloud Drive. When you are seeing a file on iCloud Drive with the cloud badge and the download arrow, iCloud has optimized the storage and removed the local shadow copy and the file is only in iCloud Drive. You can do the optimisation manually by ctrl-clicking a file and using the command "Remove Download" to force the removal from your Mac. But do not delete the file, or it will be deleted from iCloud as well.

I'm confused about the location of my files - icloud or HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.