Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer cd onto imac

What kind of equipment do I need to purchase to download my old cd's onto my imac's itunes? I don't want to make copies of cd's, I just want to put my old cd's onto my imac, and then transfer the music to my ipod.

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 8:21 AM

First, iTunes has not been used by Mac OS for many years now. Please check the version of Mac OS installed on your computer and look on your Mac for the Music app which replaced iTunes.

Next, you will need a DVD drive, if your Mac is a 2012 or later you will need to buy an external DVD drive. I'd recommend something like the following due to its high quality and speed: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/ please make sure the player is plugged directly into your Mac (don't use a USB hub) and it will be fine.

If you want music DVDs to automatically download into the Music app when they are put into the DVD/CD drive you will need to change a setting. Please refer to Import songs from CDs into Music on Mac - Apple Support for complete instructions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 8:21 AM in response to Mike Branigan

First, iTunes has not been used by Mac OS for many years now. Please check the version of Mac OS installed on your computer and look on your Mac for the Music app which replaced iTunes.

Next, you will need a DVD drive, if your Mac is a 2012 or later you will need to buy an external DVD drive. I'd recommend something like the following due to its high quality and speed: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/ please make sure the player is plugged directly into your Mac (don't use a USB hub) and it will be fine.

If you want music DVDs to automatically download into the Music app when they are put into the DVD/CD drive you will need to change a setting. Please refer to Import songs from CDs into Music on Mac - Apple Support for complete instructions.

transfer cd onto imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.