You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K HDR suddenly went dim (lost brightness)

I've been using ATV4K for a couple years with my UHD 4K Samsung TV. ATV has always been set (4K HDR 60), and the picture has been stellar. Every once in a while I lose brightness, and a restart of the ATV brings to back to normal.

However, it's happened again, but a restart isn't resolving. I've tried so many things with the TV and ATV and nothing is bringing it back to normal. If I set it to (4K SDR 60), the brightness comes back, but the picture looks really contrasty and oversaturated. The SDR is just making unacceptable by going in the opposite direction.

The ATV did do a software update yesterday, maybe that had something to do with it. However, it didn't change the picture immediately after the update, so I don't know if this is the actual cause.

I've now tried restarting ATV and unplugging the Samsung, and I can't get a decent, normal picture I had this morning.

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 7:49 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 24, 2022 3:17 PM in response to markfug

If you have the chance, then please try:

• Connect to a different HDMI port on the TV, in case they’re not all the same.
  • Connect your Apple TV box to a different HDR TV (neighbor, friend, …). That would tell you if the box is able to send a good HDR signal.
  • Connect a different HDR device to your TV. That should tell you if the TV is able to receive a properly bright HDR signal over HDMI.

If the third bullet point fails, then seek advise from Samsung Support or other Samsung users (forum).

If the second bullet point fails, then contact the Apple Support staff. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Jul 23, 2022 10:10 AM in response to markfug

• Have you tried resetting the HDMI, by disconnecting the HDMI cable on both ends, then reconnecting?
  • Have you verified that the HDMI cables are rated 18 Gbps or better?
  • Have you verified that the Chroma subsampling on Apple TV 4K is set to 4:2:0; not higher? This does not affect video quality, as ALL streaming video is encoded 4:2:0.

Jul 25, 2022 9:52 AM in response to djjohnr

TvOS 15.6 was recently installed a few days ago which begs the question. However, the dimming didn’t immediately follow the update, so that leaves me unsure. There’s no release notes on this update to offer any clues.

This dimming has happened occasionally in the past, but restarting cleared it up. I’ve ordered a new ATV to try out, but I’m concerned I’m chasing a software glitch. However, I’m not seeing multiple feedback on forums to say it’s a widespread problem.

Apple TV 4K HDR suddenly went dim (lost brightness)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.