Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Installer Damaged

Trying to update my OS to Monterey but the installer is damaged message comes up and will not install Monterey. I have mac OS X El Capitan

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 12:39 AM

Apparently you have an old installer (at /Applications/Install Monterey...)? Delete it, reboot, and download a new version and try again (I presume your Mac supports Monterey, right?).

...it is quite a long leap from El Capitan to Monterey so make good backups before upgrading. A SSD is highly recommended because old spinning HDDs are VERY slow with APFS. Old 32-bit apps also no longer work in Monterey so evaluate your mission critical apps. Also very old movie codecs are no longer supported but you can convert them with HandBrake, if necessary.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 12:39 AM in response to Tradewind1

Apparently you have an old installer (at /Applications/Install Monterey...)? Delete it, reboot, and download a new version and try again (I presume your Mac supports Monterey, right?).

...it is quite a long leap from El Capitan to Monterey so make good backups before upgrading. A SSD is highly recommended because old spinning HDDs are VERY slow with APFS. Old 32-bit apps also no longer work in Monterey so evaluate your mission critical apps. Also very old movie codecs are no longer supported but you can convert them with HandBrake, if necessary.

Monterey Installer Damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.