Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the image direction information so complicated in EXIF data on iPhone images?

I have an Olympus camera with in-built GPS. When I view the EXIF data of its photos, the information is presented in degrees, so I know just by looking at the EXIF what direction the camera was pointing. (That is not strictly true, because it is presented as a fraction, ie, the camera pointing east would be 9000/100 = 90 degrees.) However, I have just taken a photo with my iPhone pointing east and the EXIF data shows 506699/5682. That is 89 degrees, but I have to use a calculator. Why is this? Why can't the data be presented simply as degrees, or even, more simply, as the compass point?

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 7:06 AM

If you find something is missing on iOS devices, you may provide --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple < here.

1 reply

Why is the image direction information so complicated in EXIF data on iPhone images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.