Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new HomeKit Setup popup in iPadOS 15.6

Every morning -- the first time I use my iPad -- since updating my (gen7) iPad to iPadOS, I see the following popup:

I keep Cancelling out of that, but what the heck is that about?

I've never used HomeKit. Months ago I offloaded the Home app as well as making sure it was turned off for iCloud in Settings -> Apple ID -> iCloud -> Home.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 9:49 AM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2022 4:48 AM in response to bob32

I found the source of it, at least in my case. With the changes made to HomeKit in iOS 15.6, an AppleTV (4 or newer) is now considered a hub for controlling other HomeKit devices (as is a HomePod). If your iOS device picks up one of these devices, it presumes (Apple loves doing that) that you want to use Apple Home and therefore wants you to enable Home for iCloud.

Is it really asking too much that they explain these things before we start getting confusing pop-ups?

Jul 24, 2022 9:31 AM in response to bob32

Looks like all it wants is for you to -- as it says -- turn ON iCloud for HomeKit in Settings on iPadOS, at least. And it apparently doesn't like it if you turn it off afterwards; it'll start complaining again.

Not sure why there's even a button for that in Settings now, if that feature is required to always be on.

After every iPadOS (and iOS) update, I've become used to reviewing all kinds of settings to see what the update has turned on -- which I prefer turned off. (15.6 automagically turned ON several settings for Safari, at least, including "Shared with you".) But this is the first time I've encountered a setting flipped on that actually complains if you turn it off.

Sep 17, 2022 1:47 AM in response to le_jawa

I am very tired of that pop-up!!! It comes up on all of my devices except watch and tv. I posted a thread and got someone from Apple to respond to me, but they were not helpful. I saw in this thread some thing about AppleTV, so I went into the settings and found HomeKit and disabled it from any room. That was the choice. I turned on my iPad to see if it worked, and the HomeKit/iCloud pop-up still came up. I am not an iCloud fan, and I still back up my phones and my iPad to my laptop. It’s not because I am afraid of it. It’s because it complicates things. I turn iCloud off on almost everything because I like most of what I do on each device to be unique (home or office) to that device.

I was really, sincerely hoping that iOS 15.7 would fix this problem. There has to be a way to stop this pop up.

Oct 19, 2022 11:00 AM in response to delinah77

Is anyone getting this taken care of. I have 9 iOS devices in my home, 2 apple TVs, and 3 iPads. The devices assigned to me do not have this annoying pop-up. Yet, my primary iPhone that I use on a daily basis has this thing popping up nearly every time I open my messages. I have gone through multiple settings and even went to the extreme of backing up my phone, wiping all data, and then setting up the phone fresh. The issue went away until I did the restore and the issue returned. Obviously, this is a setting within in my account or profile. @Apple - please help fix this problem.

Oct 19, 2022 11:36 AM in response to Corfos

Nothing is being done. I’ve posted on more than one thread about it. I received some advice that was not helpful and then explained that my only solution lately was to have developed a muscle memory to click it off automatically. The advisor said that I was dealing with it then.

It really makes me irritated when I am

doing something and it won’t proceed and then I notice that stupid pop-up that must be dealt with and freezes functionality until it is dismissed.

new HomeKit Setup popup in iPadOS 15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.