Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to find all duplicate photos

how to find duplicate photos

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 5:38 PM

I have the same problem and have been living with it after several failed attempts using third party software. Apparently Apple will be integrating a feature called "Duplicate Detection" in iOS 16. The commercial release of iOS 16 should be September of this year.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 5:38 PM in response to bob36

I have the same problem and have been living with it after several failed attempts using third party software. Apparently Apple will be integrating a feature called "Duplicate Detection" in iOS 16. The commercial release of iOS 16 should be September of this year.

Jul 24, 2022 10:24 AM in response to bob36

You want an app that will identify the potential duplicates, put them in an album or mark them with a keyword for easy retrieval and deletion by you. You don't want one that does the deletion itself for obvious reasons. 

I've run tests on the these two apps with the following results and found them to be safe to use:

PowerPhotos - $29.95  

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos, both original and edited versions, along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper - $9.99 - Demo version available.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different file sizes, file names, image sizes and capture dates.

Personally, I think PowerPhotos is probably the best auxiliary tool for Photos there is.

how to find all duplicate photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.