Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving iMovie to DVD

I have been trying to save videos and photos to DVD via iMovie (v10.3.3) to play as a slideshow on my MacBook OS Monterey 12.5. On iMovie, the whole video runs smoothly but when on DVD it judders - staccato-like stopping and starting every second or so for a fraction of a second - on both video and audio. I've read some answers to this problem including changing the speed and tried that. No difference. I tried changing the resolution, again no difference. Any one else had the same issue and found a solution? Any other suggestions please?

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 10:50 AM

A DVD authoring application puts a movie into a particular format and file structure in order for it to be played on a DVD player.

The DVD player is designed to look for this particular format and file structure and if the DVD does not conform to this then it won't play.

Most, if not all, Blu-ray players are designed to play DVD authored discs as well so they will be programmed to look for the appropriate format e.t.c for playing a DVD as well.

A DVD will not conform if the movie is just dragged onto the disc.

For DVD authoring applications have a look at this post and see what Rich and Old Toad have to say.

You may also wish to Google DVD authoring applications but be sure that what ever you decide to get that it is compatible with Mac and Monterey.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253924611

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 10:50 AM in response to ale_glass

A DVD authoring application puts a movie into a particular format and file structure in order for it to be played on a DVD player.

The DVD player is designed to look for this particular format and file structure and if the DVD does not conform to this then it won't play.

Most, if not all, Blu-ray players are designed to play DVD authored discs as well so they will be programmed to look for the appropriate format e.t.c for playing a DVD as well.

A DVD will not conform if the movie is just dragged onto the disc.

For DVD authoring applications have a look at this post and see what Rich and Old Toad have to say.

You may also wish to Google DVD authoring applications but be sure that what ever you decide to get that it is compatible with Mac and Monterey.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253924611

Jul 24, 2022 9:08 AM in response to ale_glass

Trying to get clarity.

Not sure if you are burning a Data DVD or a DVD using a DVD authoring Application.

If you are just dragging your Movie onto a DVD then you will create a Data DVD.

If you are using a DVD authoring application then you will create a DVD that should be able to be played in either a DVD or Blu-ray player.

If you have created a Data DVD then it will play on your USB SuperDrive, as you have said, because the DVD is a copy of the iMovie movie., i.e. the same data.

Are the 2 Blu-ray players you have tried the type you would normally connect to a TV or are they player/ burners that you connect to a computer?

If they are the type normally connected to a TV, then a Data DVD will not necessarily play on these as the format of the data may not be supported by the Blu-ray player.

If you have actually produced an authored DVD then I can't say why it won't play on a TV connected Blu-ray player.

Jul 25, 2022 1:19 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thanks for your reply. I have dragged the file from the desktop to the DVD icon on the desktop when it opens. I'm using DVD-R. I'm not sure how else to do it. I've not heard about the authoring application. I just thought it created automatically through iMovie. The Blu-ray players are connected to TVs. I'm a novice at this as you might have guessed. so any guidance is welcome.

Jul 25, 2022 11:57 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

Thanks again. I researched DVD authoring apps and also spoke to someone at Apple. As DVD creation isn't part of their support anymore they couldn't help, although a couple of people tried. I was directed to this support group. I've purchased an authoring DVD app after seeing a couple of recommendations online. This has sorted my issues. The video and audio on my created DVDs work fine now.

Saving iMovie to DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.