Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2017 Computer won't update to latest OS version(s)

My iMac stopped updating after Big Sur OS 11.6.4? WHY?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 9:11 AM

Do you have a VPN, any third pard Anti-Virus, Cleaning or Optimizing junk-ware installed on your iMac?

If so, those can wreak havoc on the macOS and prevent it from updating/upgrading properly.

Best bet is to un-install that junk-ware as per the developers instructions.

Then Startup in Safe Mode and see if it will Upgrade to Monterey.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 9:11 AM in response to Madje76

Do you have a VPN, any third pard Anti-Virus, Cleaning or Optimizing junk-ware installed on your iMac?

If so, those can wreak havoc on the macOS and prevent it from updating/upgrading properly.

Best bet is to un-install that junk-ware as per the developers instructions.

Then Startup in Safe Mode and see if it will Upgrade to Monterey.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2022 11:22 AM in response to den.thed

OMGosh, yes! We have Bitdefender installed on all devices. I never thought of this? It's the small stuff one tends to forget (or sweat). Thank you very much! I'll check it out and let the hubby know. This makes a big difference. Does one REALLY need any type of malware, junk-ware or virus protection for an iMac? Thank you SO much for assisting ~ I'm very grateful.

Jul 26, 2022 2:34 PM in response to den.thed

Well, nothing occurred in Safe boot. So I did the reinstall of the MAC OS, which was Big Sur (same version which was on there before all this started). I disconnected all junk-ware. There was an update available for Monterey. So I clicked on it and it didn't upload - don't know why, because I couldn't stay and watch it (darn). So, I tried again to see if the update was available and all that occurred was the spinning beach ball. I found out that the trade-in value on my iMac (2017 21.5" screen Intel 5) is only $150.00 - this sucks. So I don't know what to do now.

iMac 2017 Computer won't update to latest OS version(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.