Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch LTE SMS/MMS Function

Hey,

So I’m wondering why I can’t receive any SMS/MMS (only iMessage) on my cellular Apple Watch when I’m out running and my phone is powered on and left at home? Although I can receive calls (and vice versa).

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:41 AM

Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

1. To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

SMS/MMS requires a cellular radio that can talk to the cellular voice network. The Apple Watch has just a cellular data radio that can only talk to the internet, and using VoIP for voice calling.

A full function cellular radio is too big, and consumes too much power.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 3:41 AM in response to Yaw_93

Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

1. To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

SMS/MMS requires a cellular radio that can talk to the cellular voice network. The Apple Watch has just a cellular data radio that can only talk to the internet, and using VoIP for voice calling.

A full function cellular radio is too big, and consumes too much power.

Apple Watch LTE SMS/MMS Function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.