Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac is occasionally shutting down when I actually do a restart...

What does "Previous shutdown cause: 1 -" translate to? I can find many other shutdown causes but not this one.

Specifically what is a shutdown cause 1 (one)? I have seen this question asked here before and they were sent to: If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support - which does not answer the question nor, in this case, is the link helpful.

I have had major work done on my mini in the last month by Apple. So, for all intents and purposes, it's a new box. Memory and logic board were replaced.

TIA

macOS Monterey

Version 12.4 (21F79)

Mac mini (2018)

Processor 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 4:05 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 4:05 AM in response to skiph

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jul 25, 2022 2:18 PM in response to skiph

Most of the important issues specific to this computer has been covered by previous posting by @Barney-15E.

Though, to add as per below issue of Interest for this machine

VirtualBox Path: /Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox

Not certain but seem to find this Software may not run properly in Monterey

WD Discovery.app 3 notifications

Do not see an WD Software installed ( may have missed ) But if there is, worth considering removal. Just complicate matters that macOS can generally handle fine.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

This speaks volumes in and of itself. Heavily modified systems tend to not perform as expected and generate issues like what this machine is experiencing

Jul 25, 2022 4:06 PM in response to PRP_53

Again, thanks for your responses.

I am, quite honestly, not sure what "system modifications" are or what they are used for.

I am running Windows 10 under Parallels. Maybe that's the Virtualbox?

I did see the WD stuff. Don't know how/when/why I would have installed it, but I have removed it.

I do not know which Kernels things/events I can remove.

I do admit, and I knew better, but every time I would get a new Mac, I would install my TM backups. Probably back to about 2010 or so.

I am tempted to reinstall the OS and just load the things I am sure I need from TM. I am a Ham Radio Operator and a lot (~95%) of the software we use is Windows dependent. And I am sure some of that is X86.

Jul 25, 2022 4:17 PM in response to skiph

Quick note - Reinstalling the OS implies installing over and existing and already installation ( In Place ).

That would only replace any corrupted or missing elements of the OS.

To effectively remove all the Issues presently on the computer now, would involve Erasing the OS and starting over with Only the New Installation

This is not something to enter into lightly and would understanding the consequences

Jul 25, 2022 4:25 PM in response to skiph

PS with the problems I had with my mini for the last 6 months before I got it repaired, I am VERY familiar with erasing and installing. Takes a bit of time is all, and I have had my TM for the restoration. But instead of doing the whole boat, I do it ad-hoc. Of course my Apple storage will get loaded when I create my new system but I don't have any applications etc there.

Thankfully I have my MBP so I am not without resources.

And as always, thank you, Mr Phillips.

Mac is occasionally shutting down when I actually do a restart...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.