Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time - my kids can ignore and continue watching as they like

Hi,

My kids can for some reason choose to ignore screen time. I'm using both screen time period of the day when they can use certain apps and also the time limit limitation. They are running latest version of iOS and iPadOS.

Ideally I'd like to stop certain apps completely, like YouTube and TikTok, but this can't be done today and I don't understand why Apple haven't given parents this possibility. Feature request perhaps but I think other OS providers can do this today.

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 4:48 AM

To me this sounds a bit not that user friendly. I could of course sometime want my kids to reach certain content but the level of control and simplicity needs some work on. I would really recommend Apple to give this a bit more thought and do some redesigning, shouldn't be too much work to make this feature better than it is today.

Quite often I've also noticed erratic behavior where the rules I've set don't apply at all, maybe because of iCloud system performance issues or similar. The basic need I have today is to just set time to 0 instead of 1 min which is the lowest possible value. Or if I could disallow any app or webb address completely at any given time.

Should be possible to fix right and also still be backward compatible with at least some older devices? :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 4:48 AM in response to LD150

To me this sounds a bit not that user friendly. I could of course sometime want my kids to reach certain content but the level of control and simplicity needs some work on. I would really recommend Apple to give this a bit more thought and do some redesigning, shouldn't be too much work to make this feature better than it is today.

Quite often I've also noticed erratic behavior where the rules I've set don't apply at all, maybe because of iCloud system performance issues or similar. The basic need I have today is to just set time to 0 instead of 1 min which is the lowest possible value. Or if I could disallow any app or webb address completely at any given time.

Should be possible to fix right and also still be backward compatible with at least some older devices? :-)

Jul 25, 2022 2:49 PM in response to AndreasBSweden

Uninstall the apps and hide them in App Store. Make sure they are not allowed to install any apps in Screen Time.

Also make sure they are not allowed to change the time zone.

It can all be done, and if you want to have that level of control you will have to explore all levels in Screen Time settings and it is too big a subject to cover here. Their friends will know every wrinkle in the system. Good luck.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Screen time - my kids can ignore and continue watching as they like

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.