Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD to replace startup drive in Mac Pro 2012 (tower)

I am putting a new SSD drive into my Mac Pro 2012 and want to use it as my new start up drive. I had an empty bay so I could have the old start up drive in the machine at the same time. When I went to format the SSD it did not give me the option for APFS (Apple File System. It only gave me the Guid, Apple Partition and something else. What do I need to do to get APFS formatted on the new drive. I am installing Mojave which is what I had on my old start up drive.

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 7:08 AM

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). If you still don't have the APFS option, then just use MacOS Extended (Journaled) since I believe the Mojave installer will automatically convert it to APFS during the install process.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2022 7:08 AM in response to RML1

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). If you still don't have the APFS option, then just use MacOS Extended (Journaled) since I believe the Mojave installer will automatically convert it to APFS during the install process.

SSD to replace startup drive in Mac Pro 2012 (tower)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.