Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using WD my passport for mac

have not backed up my late 2013 MacBook pro 13 retina for 5 years using Catalina 15.7 os looking for directions on how to correctly do this

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 8:11 PM

4 replies

Jul 25, 2022 8:51 PM in response to DonGato2015

I'd suggest setting it up with Time Machine. For 12.4 you would need to format it in APFS and then select it in Time Machine.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

As an aside, I personally I don't like the WD My Passport. I have one myself. My issue is that this series has always used a proprietary interface that connects directly to USB and not a SATA drive with a SATA to USB interface. With the latter, if something goes wrong with the interface or connector, the drive can be removed and used in an enclosure. I've heard Seagate external drives typically use a SATA drive.

Jul 25, 2022 8:58 PM in response to DonGato2015

DonGato2015 Said:

"using WD my passport for Mac: have not backed up my late 2013 MacBook pro 13 retina for 5 years using Catalina 15.7 os looking for directions on how to correctly do this"

-------

Backing Up Catalina with Time Machine:

Research the model of this drive to make sure it is compatible with your Mac model and macOS version.

If Compatible:

Format the Drive in Recovery Mode:

Backup what need be from this drive, then proceed with a format. Hold down: [command + R] > Select: Disk Utilities > Format: the drive to APFS. In doing so, it will be erased, and will be made for Catalina Time Machine Backups. The, create your first backup.

using WD my passport for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.