Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID, @gmail.com, @me.com, and mail's recognition

On my 2015 Mac, when using the mail application, it recognized my @gmail.com account and my @me.com account. The @gmail.com account was my original Apple ID. The @me.com address was a separate email account I had created as a separate account. My newer MBP - 2020, when logging in, automatically asks for my iCloud account which is connected via my @gmail.com Apple ID. Anytime I go to add a separate internet account and add my @me.com email so I can have those emails populate as a separate email account under mail, it reverts back to my @gmail account. Only way to access my @me.com email is to go to iCloud.com, then mail. The gmail emails populate in the Mail app as iCloud emails but not my @me.com emails.

Confused? I sure am. Please help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 9:14 PM

Since the shutdown of MobileMe in 2012, all @mac.com and all @me.com email addresses have been nothing more than aliases to whatever iCloud email account you created prior to the fall of 2012 to tie this legacy addresses to. They are not actual email accounts anymore. They are just aliases to your iCloud email inbox.

See this support document -> iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

So you cannot add an @me.com email account as no such accounts exist since the fall of 2012. All you can do is use that email alias with your iCloud email account.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 9:14 PM in response to vadesai2

Since the shutdown of MobileMe in 2012, all @mac.com and all @me.com email addresses have been nothing more than aliases to whatever iCloud email account you created prior to the fall of 2012 to tie this legacy addresses to. They are not actual email accounts anymore. They are just aliases to your iCloud email inbox.

See this support document -> iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

So you cannot add an @me.com email account as no such accounts exist since the fall of 2012. All you can do is use that email alias with your iCloud email account.

Apple ID, @gmail.com, @me.com, and mail's recognition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.