Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I disconnect my macbook from my icloud will my pictures from my mac stay on icould if i then delete them from my mac. Just trying to create storage on my mac and wondering if I can keep the photos on icloud but not have them on my macbook.

If I disconnect my macbook from my icloud will my pictures from my mac stay on icould if i then delete them from my mac. Just trying to create storage on my mac and wondering if I can keep the photos on icloud but not have them on my macbook.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 12:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 1:07 AM

Yes, if you disable iCloud Photos in the Photos app on your Mac, you can delete the photos from your mac without removing them from iCloud and your other devices. But you will no longer be able to access your photos in icloud with Photos, you will have to use the more limited web interface at www.icloud.com.

it would be better to enable the optimize Mac Storage option in the Photos Preferences iCloud. Then iCloud will automatically remove the high resolution versions of some of your photos from the mac to free storage, if more storage is needed and you can continue to use iCloud Yphotos on your Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2022 1:07 AM in response to issy225

Yes, if you disable iCloud Photos in the Photos app on your Mac, you can delete the photos from your mac without removing them from iCloud and your other devices. But you will no longer be able to access your photos in icloud with Photos, you will have to use the more limited web interface at www.icloud.com.

it would be better to enable the optimize Mac Storage option in the Photos Preferences iCloud. Then iCloud will automatically remove the high resolution versions of some of your photos from the mac to free storage, if more storage is needed and you can continue to use iCloud Yphotos on your Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.