Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.5 update broke airport epson printer

I just updated my 27" 2015 iMac and MacBook Air 13' M1, both running 12.4 to Monterey 12.5.

Since then, my Epson Stylus Photo 1400 connected to Airport Express stopped working (printer is seen and everything, but jobs just hang in printing queue, saying 'Printing, Connected to Printer' but nothing happens).

Resetting Printing System and re-adding printer does not work.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled EPSON driver and software to no avail.

If attached directly with USB, the printer works perfectly..

Another MacBook Air still running 12.4 prints perfectly via the same wifi.

Any hints would be MUCH appreciated ...

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 10:16 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try to install and use the printer from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

The reboot and try the printer again.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2022 10:16 AM in response to Marco Sassone

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try to install and use the printer from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

The reboot and try the printer again.

Jul 27, 2022 12:24 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, Old Toad

I tried on my M1 MacBook (much speedier than my iMac) and in SafeBoot mode I did the following:

I tried to launch a print and the printer is now shown as 'In Use', with yellow dot, Printing queue showing as printing (progress bar moving back and forth) and reporting 'Printing - Connected to printer' but the printer is dead silent and not moving.

Always in SafeBoot I then :

• erased the job (green dot and Idle printer now in printer and scanner System Pref)
  • added a new printer (same printer seen in Bonjour but with another name, received the alert: the Epson... already exists,... do you want to add...
  • Tried to print but with same result

Same result also after downloading the Driver from Epson website and install it

I find it distressful that an OS update has broken my printing on two different computers ...

If you have any other suggestion...

Noone else experienced the same bug?

Jul 27, 2022 4:19 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

sorry for the confusion Jan;

I use an AirPort Extreme A1354 (4th gen?) as router and the EPSON Stylus Photo 1400 is connected to that with USB.

Both are in my studio close to my 27"iMac.

I then use 2 AirPort Express(es) wired to the Extreme to create new networks at upper floor (all with same name and password), each wirelessly connected to two more Express for Airplay use.

All was working great up until MacOS 12.4 and it was possible to print from anywhere in the house from any MacBook ...

Jul 27, 2022 5:44 PM in response to Marco Sassone

in a further attempt to fix the issue, I deleted the content of McIntosh HD/Library/Printers.

As instructed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5BV_p7fDPk

I re-installed latest Epson driver (as it now showed missing).

Nothing.

If started by pressing the device buttons it performs heads cleaning and it is reflected in the Printing Queue window, but no jobs get printed.

I might trying activating CUPS from the Terminal, but I'm losing hope

Jul 28, 2022 1:39 AM in response to Marco Sassone

Thank you for the additional information.

Since Bonjour is involved one way or another, even if this is not AirPrint, could it possibly be a problem with devices not being properly registered everywhere? If all settings have been checked, you could perhaps try something like the following power-cycle procedure (in this order, and including the waiting times):

Power off the AirPort Extreme router (and all AirPort Express units), the Stylus Photo printer, the iMac and both MacBook Air computers, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the AirPort Extreme router (and all AirPort Express units). Again, wait two to three minutes. Power on the Stylus Photo printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iMac and both MacBook Air computers. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Look upon this as an experiment. If it does not work, repeat the procedure, but power on the USB-connected Stylus Photo printer before the AirPort Extreme router.

Jul 28, 2022 3:06 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you, Jan

I tried both procedures, but the Epson still doesn't print wirelessly.

It only works if it's USB connected directly to iMac.

It's noticeable something is not ok when the print is launched pressing the 'Print' button (with the printer connected to Airport Extreme) because the printing window is flashing and disappears way more quickly than when it worked ok.

Allow me to remind that all this happened in this order:

I got back from a short holiday, turned on my iMac, (network stayed on all the time) and printed a couple of pages I needed.

All was ok.

Then noticed the available update to 12.5 in System Pref panel and launched it. (Never got around why updates are not dismissable, this since the Catalina came available, which kept annoyingly popping up or showing in red for months until I finally updated)

After the update to 12.5 finished the rebooting and all, I had to print other stuff, and this is when the problem began...

Monterey 12.5 update broke airport epson printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.