Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I retrieve someting from back up

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 8:12 PM

You can only restore your iPhone from that backup, you cannot sort thru it's contents and pick & choose..

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Depending on when this backup was made, you would stand to lose items between the backup date and now.

3 replies

Jul 27, 2022 10:42 AM in response to Chris0107

Actually that turned out not to be completely true. I had removed my calendar trying to make room for an upgrade to IOS15.6. I mistakenly thought I was using another calendar app. I found the Apple calendar in the appstore. There appeared a download cloud symbol that pulled it right back from my back up. I would assume that would probably be the case for most Apple apps and associated data. WHEW!

Jul 27, 2022 8:27 PM in response to dwkcyber

You can redownload any apps you've previously downloaded, of course.. but if the app data was not stored in iCloud or backed up, then you would not get any app data back.

So what you did has nothing to do with a backup.. it was simply downloading something that was already part of your Apple ID purchase history (or a built in app, however it works out).

In any case, glad you got what you needed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.