Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latent Defect? Keyboard keys wearing away.

Is this a latent defect? MacBook Pro 2018. Bought at iStore early 2019.

Keys on the keyboard are 'wearing away'. To note I mostly use a BT keyboard ... keys on the laptop are thus not under any 'use' stress. Especially bad when using backlighting. For now, it's mostly the 'A' and 'S' keys. A net search shows this to be a common problem in MacBook already since 2008 ... it is thus known but ignored by Apple? I followed due diligence ... I had it looked at by our local iStore, and they acknowledge the problem and shared that the cause is due to the type of material the keyboard is made of [??] ... seems Apple thinks the keyboard wearing away is ok. Not their problem and not part of their quality program. It will be for the owner's cost to get the keyboard replaced !! Thus this issue received NO help from Apple. In my opinion, it's clear Apple has started foregoing quality in favour of product launches. Any other experiences I may learn from, please share.

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 9:28 PM

Apple can replace individual key caps if necessary, however, this may not be something an Apple Store will do as they may only mail the laptop to a repair depot for the repairs. You should contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they can replace individual key caps for you. I know an AASP is able to do this if the AASP actually performs repairs within their shop. Keep in mind this may be a bit expensive since an AASP must purchase an entire kit which contains all the key caps.

It may be possible to purchase key caps online, but I do not recommend it because it is very easy to damage both the key cap and the butterfly mechanism when removing the key cap and installing the key cap. If the butterfly mechanism is damaged, then you are looking at a $600+ US repair to replace the Top Case/Keyboard Assembly (includes the Keyboard, Trackpad, Battery, palmrest/frame and possibly Touchbar & Speakers if a Touchbar model).

These key caps appear to be made of thin translucent clear/white plastic painted black. It is the black paint that is wearing off. I've seen this happen from time to time over the years with certain models.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2022 9:28 PM in response to William_H_H

Apple can replace individual key caps if necessary, however, this may not be something an Apple Store will do as they may only mail the laptop to a repair depot for the repairs. You should contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they can replace individual key caps for you. I know an AASP is able to do this if the AASP actually performs repairs within their shop. Keep in mind this may be a bit expensive since an AASP must purchase an entire kit which contains all the key caps.

It may be possible to purchase key caps online, but I do not recommend it because it is very easy to damage both the key cap and the butterfly mechanism when removing the key cap and installing the key cap. If the butterfly mechanism is damaged, then you are looking at a $600+ US repair to replace the Top Case/Keyboard Assembly (includes the Keyboard, Trackpad, Battery, palmrest/frame and possibly Touchbar & Speakers if a Touchbar model).

These key caps appear to be made of thin translucent clear/white plastic painted black. It is the black paint that is wearing off. I've seen this happen from time to time over the years with certain models.

Jul 27, 2022 6:21 AM in response to William_H_H

Cosmetic issues are never included in warrantable items. That said, this is a user to user only forum and you are not addressing anyone from Apple here. You are speaking with other users like yourself, none of whom have anything to do with Apple warranty.

Feel free to share your thoughts with Apple via this link --> Feedback - MacBook - Apple

Jul 27, 2022 11:51 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Again agree. In turn, as comparison, I have a Lenovo ... 8 yrs old ... worked hard for 5 of those [business application] ... keyboard still perfect ... same fingers and typing habit ... so cant be that. Brings us back to design and choice of materials. During the 'deepdive' last few days on Apple keyboards, interesting to note the US Class Suit re Apple's "butterfly" keyboard issue [https://www.wired.com/story/apple-butterfly-keyboard-settlement-50-million/] and the recent recall of some MacBooks with "sticky" keys [Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support ]. Not something I've seen in relation to Apple's competitors. Clearly something is not right with Apple's keyboard design and engineering. Keys wearing away due to modest wear and tear might well be part of the same design regime.

Jul 27, 2022 5:59 AM in response to William_H_H

Feedback from Apple Senior Support:

The fading of MacBook keys after 3 years of moderate use is considered "wear & tear" and is not supported under warranty or any other cover, even latent defect. I get this and ... all good & well IF indeed, as consumers, we are informed that MacBook Pro keys will wear away over 3 years. It seems however that consumers are not being informed of this eventuality.

Jul 27, 2022 6:55 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you indeed. Understood. My post was in service of other users of the MacBook Pro ... hopefully saving a fellow user several hours of frustration. Just to share, I believe its keyboard to be fundamental in operating the MacBook ... keys that cannot be identified makes the device largely unusable as a mobile laptop ... and, drastically depletes its resale value. Thus, not really 'cosmetic' in my humble opinion.

Jul 27, 2022 7:30 AM in response to William_H_H

Sure. But do remember some people have fingers which are more acidic than others. I have a friend who has worn off the letters on a keyboard of the same kind of laptop I also own (HP), but mine remains pristine. No two users will have the same experience. And if this was a universal issue, this forum would likely be flooded with complaints, but that does appear to be the case.

Jul 27, 2022 12:07 PM in response to William_H_H

Little comparison can be drawn between the mechanism under which the keys move and the finish of the printing on the keys. The butterfly keyboard in theory was supposed to be revolutionary. In real world use, it however didn't work as planned and Apple took care of people whose keys couldn't type. I doubt the finish of the letters on the keys is going to get the same treatment.

Again, discussing it here is rather pointless, when again, this is a user to user only forum and no one from Apple is here, nor will anyone from Apple respond.

Latent Defect? Keyboard keys wearing away.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.