You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini connecting to CarPlay

I’ve read the many answers where iPads can’t connect to CarPlay as it’s not supported. Anyone know why Apple maintains this position? We have a growing fleet of 8,000+ ipad minis and being able to connect those to CarPlay console offers significant advantages.

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 2:56 PM

Apple has not disclosed why they decided this, and we are not allowed to discuss Apple's decisions or policies here.

With that said, I would wager its because, unless the iPad is a Cellular model, its pretty pointless. And even if it is a Cellular model you can only really use navigation Apps. You won't be able to make or receive cellular calls with an iPad, or send and receive SMS messages unless there's a Paired iPhone nearby, and at that point, it makes more sense to just use the iPhone with Carplay rather than the iPad.

There's really no advantage to using an iPad with CarPlay. It's easier to just use the onboard navigation and media center in that case with whatever phone the users of these iPads may have.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 27, 2022 2:56 PM in response to QP_DaveJ

Apple has not disclosed why they decided this, and we are not allowed to discuss Apple's decisions or policies here.

With that said, I would wager its because, unless the iPad is a Cellular model, its pretty pointless. And even if it is a Cellular model you can only really use navigation Apps. You won't be able to make or receive cellular calls with an iPad, or send and receive SMS messages unless there's a Paired iPhone nearby, and at that point, it makes more sense to just use the iPhone with Carplay rather than the iPad.

There's really no advantage to using an iPad with CarPlay. It's easier to just use the onboard navigation and media center in that case with whatever phone the users of these iPads may have.

Jul 27, 2022 3:02 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil. I understand what you are saying. We have some bespoke Apps designed for Community Safety and Apple have allowed the use of CarPlay templates elsewhere in Australia to present some relevant information using the CarPlay interface. We could do the same here in Queensland, if the iPad was able to connect. It certainly helps in response to calls for service, messaging and then navigating. Our 8,000+ fleet is ipad cellular and will increase to over 12,000 in coming 12 months and the functionality has proven to offer significant benefits. I'll raise this with Apple to see if they can assist further.

iPad mini connecting to CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.