Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Iphoto migrated library without any problems

SOS

I need to free space from my MacBook Air, since the system shows that I just have 10.33GB available.

Went to "About this Mac" then "Storage" clicked on "Manage" and then noticed "Documents" is using about 144.79 GB of space, I clicked on it and the "Photos" folder is the biggest one where I found that I have 2 libraries one named "Fotos Library" and the other "Iphoto Library Migrated" being this last one the biggest one.

I know the reason I have both folders... Long story short: I had Time Capsule of an old MacBook Pro and installed the backup on my MacBook Air (MacOs Monterey System) so I am assuming all the pictures migrated from the Iphoto app to the Photo app.

The thing is throughout the past month I have been deleting pictures from my Photos app but I think that doesn't delete them from the Iphoto migrated library.

My question is: How do I delete Iphoto migrated library without any problems, I am not sure if everything got migrated and I am not able to check it since Iphoto is long gone =(

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 7:10 AM

Just scrub through the images in Photos and make sure everything seems to be there. If you have been working with Photos for a bit and have not missed anything, you should be good. (Note this advice is really pretty paranoid - the vast majority of the time things go off without a hitch) I deleted mine after working with Photos for a while and not noticing anything missing.

You could move the old library to an external drive if you want to be cautious.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 7:10 AM in response to nuria.itzel

Just scrub through the images in Photos and make sure everything seems to be there. If you have been working with Photos for a bit and have not missed anything, you should be good. (Note this advice is really pretty paranoid - the vast majority of the time things go off without a hitch) I deleted mine after working with Photos for a while and not noticing anything missing.

You could move the old library to an external drive if you want to be cautious.

Jul 28, 2022 8:05 AM in response to nuria.itzel

nuria.itzel wrote:

By any chance do you know how to really make sure all of it was migrated ?

It is not possible to be really sure after the upgrade to macOS 10.15, where you can no longer compare the two libraries side-by-side, as you can no longer run iPhoto. Keep a copy of the iPhoto Library on an external drive, so you can recover any photo or video from it, if you should notice later some items (videos or photos) that Photos cannot open correctly or think, some photos are missing.

How to delete Iphoto migrated library without any problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.