Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font colour isssues when adding a custom background image to a folder

Hello,

I have an issue, where I place a custom image into the background of a folder, and all the folder fonts in that window go from white to black. I can't seem to be able to change this option.

A bit of background (I will try to cover everything). I am using Monterey Version 12.4 on a MacBook Pro M1 and I am in dark mode, hence the white text.

I have tried the same image with three background colour options to test if there are any changes:

• Image 1 has no background
  • Image 2 has a white background
  • Image 3 has a black background

Additionally, I tried three different file types:

• jpeg
  • png
  • pdf
  • I wanted to test SVG but this would not work

With all of these different variables, I got no change in my folder font colour once i placed them into the background of the folder.

All image background colours and file types change my default folder icon colour from white to black. It does not seem to be dependent on the colour or within the file that is being placed.

Other older resolutions for not being able to see fonts from folders once the folder background has been changed is to change the label colour. I could be wrong, but I think this feature was removed a few operating systems ago. This could have been a good workaround too, but you can only change tag info now (I could be completely wrong with this but any help or advice would be great).

So, my question is - can I add a background image to a folder and retain the white font colour of the folder names. I am using a dark theme so my custom images are generally much darker and it would be great to have some consistency with this.

I have tried this before, a while ago, and I feel that there has always been a similar issue, so just wanted to double check here.

Here is an example of different images and the resulting font colours - I am using a white and black background for extreme examples.

It is a silly question, but I would not mind being able to customise my mac a little more. I think the current set-up benefits a light mode perhaps? If I can't resolve this, it will be one of those things that I won't worry about. It just seems strange that there is a setting to be able to change the background of a folder, but then the font colour issue makes this function have a usability issue - or makes this function not functional.

Anyway, any help on this would be great. It is not something that has a huge priority, but I wanted to get some clarification on this. Additionally, there is not much info online that goes deep into the settings of this, hence my post here.

Thanks in advance, and if there are any other bits of info that I have completely forgotten to add, please let me know.

Cheers

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 3:18 AM

I don't have a solution for you, but I can say that I confirm your findings. The moment a color or image is selected as folder background, the filenames are displayed in black.

We users can only report this, and hope that Apple fixes it:

https://www.apple.com/feedback

2 replies

Font colour isssues when adding a custom background image to a folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.