Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing with elderly parent

I added my mom to my apple family sharing on an iPad I purchased for her in 2021. My mom has a cell phone, not a smart phone and her number is not connected to the iPad. I would like her to be able to use the Face Time app on her iPad with wifi only with Family Sharing and not have access to my FaceTime messages. How do I do that?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 11:48 AM

It all revolves around the Apple ID used, the contact information used for that ID, and doesn't have anything to do with Family Sharing. If her equipment is using your ID then Apple's services see that equipment as being you. There isn't any easy (and possibly not any not-easy) way to split the usage as you wish. She should really have her own Apple ID and have that on equipment she uses. That is the only way you can keep your stuff to yourself.

Incidentally, I do not have a cellphone number on my Apple ID and I only use Facetime with Wi-Fi.

Incidentally, Family Sharing is for sharing things between different Apple IDs. If you are using one ID on multiple items of equipment Family Sharing is not involved.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 11:48 AM in response to MarsElla22

It all revolves around the Apple ID used, the contact information used for that ID, and doesn't have anything to do with Family Sharing. If her equipment is using your ID then Apple's services see that equipment as being you. There isn't any easy (and possibly not any not-easy) way to split the usage as you wish. She should really have her own Apple ID and have that on equipment she uses. That is the only way you can keep your stuff to yourself.

Incidentally, I do not have a cellphone number on my Apple ID and I only use Facetime with Wi-Fi.

Incidentally, Family Sharing is for sharing things between different Apple IDs. If you are using one ID on multiple items of equipment Family Sharing is not involved.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Family Sharing with elderly parent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.