Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to clear system storage on MacBook Pro?

how do I clear system storage on MacBook Pro? I want to upgrade operating system but I don't have enough available storage

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 12:46 PM

Thank you all for your replies with my issue. I was getting more confused and frustrated as time went on. so i got in touch with Apple support, and luckily I chatted with someone who suggested erasing my hard drive. I bit the bullet, followed the instructions, then reloaded macOS, and crosssed my fingers. I'm happy to report that I now have 70GB more space for storage.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2022 12:46 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you all for your replies with my issue. I was getting more confused and frustrated as time went on. so i got in touch with Apple support, and luckily I chatted with someone who suggested erasing my hard drive. I bit the bullet, followed the instructions, then reloaded macOS, and crosssed my fingers. I'm happy to report that I now have 70GB more space for storage.

Jul 28, 2022 5:49 PM in response to sspc123

Have you emptied the trash lately?

Terminal code to clean DocumentRevisionsfolder…

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/313102/what-will-occur-if-the-documentrevisions-v100-folder-is-deleted

macos - What will occur if the .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder is deleted? - Ask Different (stackexchange.com)

System Memory OS 10.12.6 Sierra - Apple Community

System Memory OS 10.12.6 Sierra - Apple Community

4 suggestions…

Look for iOS backups…

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

OmniDiskSweeper shows you the files on your drive, largest to smallest, and lets you quickly Trash or open them.

https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

Purging local backups

Please note that although this doesn't affect your remote backup from Time Machine, this will get rid of the redundancy (at least until the next Time Machine backup) that a local backup disk will provide. If you need such redundancy or are worried about the recovery of your data then you would be best served to let macOS determine when to purge these files.

Start Terminal from spotlight.

At the terminal type tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates. 

Hit enter.

Here, you'll now see a list of all of the locally stored Time Machine backup snapshots stored on your disk.

Next you can remove the snapshots based on their date. I prefer to delete them one at at time. Once my "System" disk usage is at an acceptable level, I stop deleting but you can delete all of them if you want to reclaim all of the disk space.

Back at the terminal, type tmutil deletelocalsnapshots YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS , where will be one of the dates from your backup. This will be in the form of xxx-yy-zz-abcdef. Try to start with the oldest snapshot.

Hit enter.

Repeat for as many snapshot dates as required

http://www.thagomizer.com/blog/2018/03/27/cleaning-up-time-machine-local-snapshots.html

tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /  # deletes all the snapshots

BobHarris file sizes…

sudo du -hx | sort -h 

sudo du -hx ~/| sort -h 

Jul 29, 2022 7:43 AM in response to sspc123

Manage Storage - some of the below may be a duplication from previous Contributor but some maybe methods not yet been attempted.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making addition Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Jul 29, 2022 7:46 AM in response to sspc123

Below is not for the faint of heart.

Scorched Earth Method 

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Jul 28, 2022 7:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you all for your reply. Yes I did all the easy stuff, clear trash, deleted large files and even cleared cache and cookies, which I now regret. The only thing left is to erase hardrive. yes, I have current back up but I',m scared to do this (never did it b before)

I have 75 GB of 'system storage' and 4 GB of other storage, whatever that means. I'm still using Mojave and I want to upgrade. this is more than enough to do it. I thought about buying a Clean Mac program, but I don't really have the funds. there must be a way to clear 'zystem storage' without cost. Any other ideas instead of erase hardrive and rebuild?

how to clear system storage on MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.