Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag Dog Collar

I have hopefully an easy question about air tag dog collars. Our dogs have gotten out of our yard a few times, so we thought we'd get air tag collars for them. can someone explain how those work? does the air tag have to be connected to wi-fi? Just wante to make sure if they escape, we'll be able to locate them even if they are miles away from us...Thanks

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 10:57 AM

Based on other threads on these forums, AirTags aren't really a good tool for this job. If they are out of range of any BT network, they're useless. They beep when they're out of range which might be upsetting to the dog. And, they can only be linked to one Apple ID; they can't be shared.

You might be better served with something GPS-enabled that's specifically designed for this situation.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2022 10:57 AM in response to runningwife

Based on other threads on these forums, AirTags aren't really a good tool for this job. If they are out of range of any BT network, they're useless. They beep when they're out of range which might be upsetting to the dog. And, they can only be linked to one Apple ID; they can't be shared.

You might be better served with something GPS-enabled that's specifically designed for this situation.

Jul 29, 2022 9:34 AM in response to runningwife

Hello runningwife,

The AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. Simply put: They work seamlessly, and require no Wi-Fi connection. (Via Apple)

If you want to find out more, visit the webpage about the AirTag .

Best regards,

dotec

Jul 29, 2022 10:42 AM in response to dotec

Thank you. So, can you expand on "detected by nearby devices in the Find My network"? That means there needs to be someone around using an apple device in the find my network? So if my dogs were in the woods somewhere, this would not be able to give me their location? But if they were somewhere in the neighborhood and there was someone using a device in the find my network, we would be able to get their location? Just really needing to understand this more.

AirTag Dog Collar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.