Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When to transfer sim card

Should SIM card be transferred from old iPhone into new iPhone BEFORE data transfer / setup of new iPhone, or after setup?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 1:35 PM

Before.

See 4th bullet - “Before You Begin” - in this guide:

Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note: If your new phone has 5G, you’ll want to subsequently have your SIM re-provisioned to gain access to 5G services.

Most carriers can simultaneously convert you to an eSIM quite easily.

See more here:

Transfer or convert your current SIM to an eSIM on your new iPhone - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2022 1:35 PM in response to MrCuppaCoffee

Before.

See 4th bullet - “Before You Begin” - in this guide:

Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note: If your new phone has 5G, you’ll want to subsequently have your SIM re-provisioned to gain access to 5G services.

Most carriers can simultaneously convert you to an eSIM quite easily.

See more here:

Transfer or convert your current SIM to an eSIM on your new iPhone - Apple Support

Jul 29, 2022 4:55 PM in response to Chattanoogan

You know... I called and asked them about exactly that prior to my posting my question here about 'when' to do the card swap.

My current old iPhone is pre-5G, so I wondered if I would need a new SIM card in order to get 5G service. They said "no" my current card will work. They said there may be a service profile update that may need to occur on the phone, but no new card necessary. We'll see... (shrug)

Have always had great customer service with Ting (T-mobile network). Very inexpensive, and perfect for my type usage.

When to transfer sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.