Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost ipad shows as a device shown in Find my ipad but location not known since not connected to internet. Its set as lost. Do I need to change my icloud password?

A Lost ipad does show as a device in Find my ipad but with location not known (since not connected to internet). It is now set as lost pending an internet connection. Do I need to change my icloud password?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2022 3:58 PM

No. Unless you have reason to believe that your AppleID account Password has been compromised (such as leaving a written copy of it with your iPad), there is no necessity to change your account Password.

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover the iPad have been lost.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2022 3:58 PM in response to NoreenGr

No. Unless you have reason to believe that your AppleID account Password has been compromised (such as leaving a written copy of it with your iPad), there is no necessity to change your account Password.

Here is Apple’s advice for lost or stolen devices:

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is lost or stolen – Apple Support

Use the Find My app to locate a lost or stolen device – Apple Support

If the Find My iPad feature was enabled prior to it being “misplaced”, then if active, you would stand a good chance of locating it. 

However, if the feature was not activated prior to being misplaced - or the iPad has been inactive for more than 24 hours, the last known location will not be available - and the opportunity to use technical means to recover the iPad have been lost.

Jul 29, 2022 4:25 PM in response to Bennym1956

Bennym1956 wrote:

Can you track an iPad with Location Services off?
Go to Settings > your name > Find My, and then toggle the Find My iPad switch to turn the feature on and off. Toggle on Send Last Location to send Apple the iPad's location data so you can find the device even if it's off or the battery dies.

You are evidently missing the point here. The OP is no longer in possession of the iPad - already lost - and therefore cannot change any settings on the iPad.

Lost ipad shows as a device shown in Find my ipad but location not known since not connected to internet. Its set as lost. Do I need to change my icloud password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.