Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I did not use a password to create an encrypted backup, but when I try to restore from my last backup, it asks for a password, which I never created? It will not restore my last backup without a password? What is the workaround for this?

I did not use a password to create an encrypted backup, but when I try to restore from my last backup, it asks for a password, which I never created? It will not restore my last backup without a password? What is the workaround for this?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 12:07 PM

4 replies

Aug 1, 2022 8:04 AM in response to mkovaleski

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, mkovaleski!

We understand you don't recall setting up a backup password for an encrypted backup. We'd be happy to provide information about this.

It's not possible to get around this. If you don't recall the password, use the steps in the article you came from to reset: If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Aug 1, 2022 9:40 AM in response to mkovaleski

For what it's worth.........my wife purchased a new iPhone a few weeks ago, and I used an unencrypted backup on my Mac to transfer data from the backup to the new phone. Was never asked for a "password" during the transfer process.

Now.....if your backup was to iCloud......all iCloud backups are encrypted automatically. You would use the password associated with the Apple ID on the device that made the backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.